Travel Insurance | Travel Insurance for Australia

by | Mar 24, 2019 | Discover Australia Now, Travel Insurance | 0 comments

Choose the right Insurance

There are insurance policies available to cover you for just about everything you can think of, your life, your car, your house and contents, your job, your pets, etc. but when you are going to work and travel around Australia then the main insurance to think about is Travel Insurance.

Travel Insurance is just that; insurance which covers you while you are on holiday, and you never know when you might need it, missed connections, lost luggage, cancelled accommodation, etc. Even on small getaways I take out insurance.

It is wise to shop around when it comes to choosing holiday insurance as there are a number of insurers available. I often get a quote with WorldNomads for my travel insurance. I also suggest you read the fine print on different policies, compare what they cover you for and how much they pay if things go wrong. Your travel insurance should cover you for:

  • cancellation fees and lost deposits incurred upon cancellation arising from unforeseen circumstances
  • overseas medical, dental and emergency expenses
  • emergency flight home if required
  • missed connections
  • hijack and kidnap
  • loss, theft or damage to your luggage
  • travel delay
  • accidental death
  • loss of income
  • personal liability
  • legal costs
  • working holidays – if you are coming to Australia on a working holiday then ensure your insurance policy covers you for a working holiday. If you only take out travel insurance and then start to work, you won’t be covered.

Some things you should check your travel insurance includes:

  • Is there a 24-hour telephone number obtainable from anywhere in the world in case you need assistance?
  • Can the policy be extended for longer than 12 months if you decide to stay longer overseas?
  • Are pre-existing medical conditions covered?
  • What happens if you are injured and need to be flown home?
  • Are goods you purchase covered?
  • Will it cover personal items stolen from the hire car or accommodation?
  • Can you make a claim while overseas or do you have to wait until you return home?
  • Whether you are covered for participation in specific activities like whitewater rafting, sailing, winter sports, parachuting, mountaineering, etc. If you’re booked to go skiing, does your insurance cover you for piste closure when there isn’t enough snow?
  • Whether expensive items like phones, cameras, video equipment, computers, etc., are covered as these aren’t usually covered in general policies.

I recommend you shop around for Travel Insurance but as I mentioned I use on a regular basis is World Nomads.



Here are my favourite go to sites to get great deals to live, work and play in Australia. They help me Discover Australia Now.

Please note, this post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites.

  • Need a bed in a hostel, hotel or resort, then get pricing and check availability at
  • Get free accommodation when you house and pet sit with Trusted Housesitters.
  • Rent a vehicle through DiscoverCars.
  • If you are from overseas don’t forget travel insurance with World Nomads or SafetyWing if a digital nomad or long term traveller.
  • Pre-purchase tickets for museums, activities and tourist attractions to jump the queue from GetYourGuide.
  • Transfer money with Wise.




Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

About Me

Bells Beach Surfing Recreation Reserve Sign shaped like a big white wave with Sharyn McCullum On the Great Ocean Road.

G’Day! Sharyn here, an Aussie who loves discovering Australia. Let me show you around so you can discover Australia now too.  Read more about me here.

Follow along on Facebook


Caravan RV Camping