Last updated on November 9th, 2023 at 09:11 am
You are visiting Melbourne and Australia’s state of Victoria, and seeing the Great Ocean Road is high on your agenda, but you don’t have a car. Well, you could rent a car but the best alternative is to go on an organised tour. An organised tour will take you to all the best spots along the Great Ocean Road. So read on, and discover the best Great Ocean Road tours if you don’t have a car.
Table of Contents
Pros of Going on a Tour of the Great Ocean Road
- Vehicle is supplied and you ride in comfort
- No wear and tear on your own vehicle
- No driver’s fatigue from all the bends
- You visit to all the best spots along the Great Ocean Road (GOR). The most iconic spots of the Great Ocean Road that you see in the tourist brochures!
- Accommodation is included if you choose to do a 2 or 3 day trip of the Great Ocean Road
Best Things to See on Great Ocean Road
The Great Ocean Road has many places to stop and see. If you are doing the Great Ocean Road in one day, you should ensure your trip includes stopping at all the best things you want to see along the Great Ocean Road. Here are the major things you will want to see on the Great Ocean Road.
- Visit the famed Bells Beach – just before the Great Ocean Road and maybe dip your toes in the ocean
- See The Entrance Sign to the Great Ocean Road. Learn its history and get a photo of the statues
- Drive through beach side towns along the Great Ocean Road – Apollo Bay, Aireys Inlet, Anglesea and Lorne and stop for lunch on the Great Ocean Road in one of the towns. Maybe a visit to the Great Ocean Road Chocolaterie and Ice Creamery. Very similar to the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie and Ice Creamery and just as yummy.
- Visit waterfalls such as Erskine Falls some 10km behind Lorne cascading 30 metres into the valley of the Erskine River.
- Into the Otway National Park to visit the Cape Otway Lighthouse and if time, walk the Otway Fly Treetops and maybe see some koalas in the trees
- Learn why Shipwreck Coast is called Shipwreck Coast and visit Loch Ard Gorge
- See the jewel in the crown of the Great Ocean Road – The 12 Apostles.
Stop at the entrance to the GOR
The 12 Apostles from the air
Loch Ard, Shipwreck Coast
Late afternoon at the 12 Apostles
How Long Does it Take to See the Great Ocean Road
Many people visit the Great Ocean Road on a day trip from Melbourne. You can see the Great Ocean Road in one day, however, this will be a very long day (and I mean looonng day! Most one day tours along the Great Ocean Road in Victoria last for around 12-14 hours. You will start early around 8am and be home not until 8pm-10pm. With lots of getting on and off the bus. If you only have 1 day – well, you only have 1 day to explore the Great Ocean Road. And you will see a lot on a Great Ocean Road 1 day tour. If you have the time, you can take a 2 day tour of the Great Ocean road which will give you more time exploring the area. A 3 day tour of the Great Ocean Road would offer even more things to see and do along the Great Ocean Road.
Is a One Day Tour of the Great Ocean Road Kid Friendly?
Tours along the Great Ocean Road are very kid friendly as there is so much to see and learn for them, and adults too. There are plenty of stops with room to run around, like at the waterfalls and beach side towns. Plus, there are lots of natural attractions and things to discover. So yes, the Great Ocean Road is very kid friendly.
Get Your Guide – Best Great Ocean Road Tours
I love Get Your Guide because it finds you the best deals from local suppliers. Plus they offer loads of options for small group sizes too. There are Great Ocean Road tours leaving Melbourne daily. Tours usually start from the centre of Melbourne at various pick up points. Then there is a drive of about 1.5 hours to get to the start of the Great Ocean Road. The trip finishes after viewing the 12 Apostles. This means you will see the 12 Apostles in the afternoon, early evening light. But if you want to see the 12 Apostles in late morning light, you can do this tour in reverse. Check out the following tours for your visit to the Great Ocean Road.
Best Great Ocean Road 1 Day Tours
2 Day Great Ocean Road Tours
2 Day Great Ocean Road Tour
See more of the Great Ocean Road during this two full days along this amazing coastline. Explore some of Victoria’s wonderful beaches, villages, waterfalls, and lookouts.
Duration: 2 Days
3 Day Great Ocean Tour leaving from Melbourne
If you prefer to drive yourself
If you have access to a vehicle and want to drive the Great Ocean Road yourself, read these articles I have written.
Enjoy Visiting the Great Ocean Road